The ISUP Groups for prostate cancer
Grade Group (ISUP Group) as the replacement for Gleason Score
The Gleason score has been ‘replaced’ by the ISUP Group for the scoring of the agressiveness of prostate cancer on biopsy or after radical prostatectomy. See below for a descritpion of the new scoring system:
- GG 1(GS 3+3 = 6): cancers comprising only individual discrete and well-formed glands.
- GG 2 (GS 3 + 4 = 7): cancers comprising predominantly discrete and well-formed glands with a lesser component of poorly formed/fused/glomeruloid/cribriform glands.
- GG 3 (GS 4 + 3 = 7): cancers with predominantly poorly formed/fused/glomeruloid/cribriform glands with a lesser component of discrete and well-formed glands.
- GG4 (GS4+4=8;3+5=8;5+3=8):cancers comprising only poorly formed/fused/glomeruloid/cribriform glands or tumours with discrete and well-formed glands and lesser component lacking glands, or tumour predominantly lacking glands with a lesser component of discrete and well-formed glands.
- GG 5 (GS 4+5, 5+4 and 5+5): cancers without gland/luminal formation or with necrosis, with or without poorly formed/fused/glomeruloid/cribriform glands.